Application (Announcement of Opportunity for the 2015 ITYF)
JAXA seeks for talented and motivated individuals who are willing to work as ITYF fellows.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or Doctoral degree in natural sciences or engineering (by the end of May 2015), or equivalent or higher qualifications, with less than 8 years of postdoctoral experience.
Terms and Conditions
Duration of the Fellowship and Commencement of Research Activity
- The contract period is basically three (3) years. The contract shall be renewed every Japanese fiscal year. When renewing the contract at the end of 3 years, depending on funding and progress, the period can be extended up to five (5) years from the time of commencement only if the ITYF Steering Committee acknowledges ITYF fellows’ research achievements as distinctly excellent.
- Commencement of the Research Activity (start of contract): April 1, 2016.
(The starting date is negotiable.)
- Research Plan and Achievement Report
- i) After the appointment, ITYF fellows must develop a 3-year research plan in consultation with their supervisors and submit it to the ITYF Steering Committee.
- ii) ITYF fellows must report their research achievements every fiscal year to the ITYF Steering Committee for its review. The ITYF Steering Committee gives ITYF fellows its feed-back.
- iii) ITYF fellows must submit the final report of their research achievements for three years to the ITYF Steering Committee upon termination of the contract and gain its approval.
Terms of the Fellowship
- Type of Employment: Fixed-Term Employee (ITYF fellow).
- Salary: The monthly salary is 791,000 JPY before tax deduction (equivalent to monthly salary of 6,590 USD at the exchange rate of 120 JPY /USD).
- Research Fund: The amount of 2,500,000 JPY (20,833 USD at the above exchange rate) for travel and research expenses is provided per fiscal year. ITYF fellows may also apply for competitive research funds (e.g. JSPS’s Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research).
- Place of Appointment: JAXA Sagamihara Campus (ISAS).
- Allowances: Housing and commutation allowances are provided if ITYF fellows meet certain requirements according to JAXA’s rules.
- Working Days: Monday-Friday, except Japanese national holidays and the year-end and new-year holidays (December 29th - January 3rd).
- Annual paid leave and special leave such as maternity, bereavement and marriage leave.
- Others: Employment insurance, health insurance, employees’ pension insurance and workers’ compensation insurance will be provided.
Note: The terms and conditions are subject to change according to JAXA rules and budget and applicable Japanese laws and regulations.
Please apply from the online application below.
Documents to be submitted
Applicants must submit a set of the following documents to JAXA.
- List of research achievements, including published papers and other publications.
- Outline of applicant’s previous research and future research plan.*
*If you have an ISAS researcher in mind whom you wish to be your supervisor, please give us his or her name. Likewise, if you desire to collaborate with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS, please give us their names and their affiliations.
- Applicant’s three(3) major research papers.
- Three(3) letters of reference.*
*Your referees do not have to be JAXA researcher.
- Application form (if you mail directly to the postal address below)
Note: The letters of reference must be sent by email directly from your referees' e-mail accounts to ITYFLOR2015@jaxa.jp. Please make sure the names of your referees are mentioned in your application.
Application documents can be sent to the address below by registered mail or international courier service. In this case, please write “Enc. Application documents for JAXA International Top Young Fellowship” in red ink on the front of the envelope. Application documents will not be returned.
JAXA International Top Young Fellowship Steering Committee
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
3-1-1 Yoshinodai, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 252-5210, JAPAN
Number of positions
Application deadline (plan)
17:00(Japanese Standard Time), June 19, 2015
All applications including letters of reference must be received by the due date.
Submitted documents will be reviewed by the JAXA ITYF Steering Committee. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a seminar presentation at ISAS/JAXA in Japan. Please note that travel and accommodation expenses for the interview will be borne by JAXA.
[Points of review]
- Can the candidate produce outstanding academic achievements in the area of specialization?
- Can the candidate create a new academic trend in collaboration with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS?
- Can the candidate contribute to proposing or incubating an attractive project plan in collaboration with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS?
- Can the candidate contribute to strengthening networks of ISAS and related institutes at home and abroad?
- Does the candidate have a positive impact on ISAS researchers concerning human resource development?
- End of July : Announcement of paper screening result by e-mail
- End of August : Seminar presentation
- End of September : Announcement of Successful Applicants
E-mail : ITYF2015@jaxa.jp
JAXA International Top Young Fellowship Steering Committee
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
All documents should be written in English language.
Use of personal information
The personal information provided to JAXA will not be used for any purpose other than the selection procedures of the JAXA International Top Young Fellowship. JAXA will handle the provided personal information properly according to JAXA’s rules.
Related Web Sites
For further information on activities of ISAS and ITYF fellows, please refer to the following web sites.
Toru Shimada, Professor
JAXA ITYF Steering Committee Chair