Sokendai International Internship
- Admissions：Sokendai International Internship
We will execute the SOKENDAI International Internship program in 2023 as below. Please note, however, depending on the situation of COVID-19 or travel expenses, the program might be cancelled this year again. We appreciate your understanding. (April 17th, 2023, Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI)
Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI(Graduate University for Advanced Studies) welcomes international internship students. This program aims to encourage undergraduate and graduate students living outside Japan to enter SOKENDAI and study space science and technology.
Internship students can experience research as well as educational activities in the field they wish during their one-month stay in Sagamihara Campus, Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
About one month between July 25, 2023 and December 26, 2023.
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) Sagamihara Campus, Kanagawa, Japan
Internship students are supervised by ISAS's faculty staffs in the field the students wish. Internship students can experience practical studies of space science and technology and find suitable research themes/styles after they enter SOKENDAI.
They have good opportunities to promote friendship with researchers and students in the laboratory.
Lectures and research discussions will be given in English and Japanese.
The internship students will have opportunity to learn basic Japanese language through conversation with members of the laboratory.
Transportation and Accommodation Expense
All transportation expenses from your current address to ISAS will be granted from SOKENDAI and ISAS/JAXA. Accommodation expenses will be partly granted as well.
Contact / Inquiry
* When you send the application documents, please avoid using free mails. (Sometimes free mails such as gmail, hotmail or yahoo mail are not delivered due to our server security.)
Undergraduate/graduate student, or non-doctorate researcher/engineer.
Applicants should be currently living outside Japan.
Applicants should have intents to enter SOKENDAI in the future.
Experiences in the fields of space science and technology or related subjects are preferred.
Number of Internship Students
A few students
Deadline for Application
May 12 (Friday), 2023
How to Apply
Fill in all the required items from this Application form.
Also prepare all the application documents (described below) and send them by email to sii. @ml.jaxa.jp
Please note that you will not be eligible to apply if the required documents are incomplete, missing or not submitted.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission deadline: May 12, 2023
* The following four documents are required for all applicants.
(1) Curriculum vitae
(2) Academic transcripts
(3) A reference letter from the director/head of applicant's institution or applicant’s current supervisor is desirable. There is no designated form of the letter.
(4) Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR (It’s necessary for applicant residing in EU.)
[EU website] https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en#map
* The following three documents are required for the applicants those who are in Master course.
(5) Summary of previous research experience
(6) List of research publications and presentations
(7) Research Proposal
Applicants should nominate supervisors (up to three) in the desired order in the application form. The supervisors may be chosen from the following faculty staff list. If the applicant takes interest to the specific themes for the internship proposed by several staffs, he/she may nominate corresponding supervisors.
***caution*** The nominated supervisor and research theme are not limited by the list of proposed specific themes for the internship program. Applicants may nominate any faculty staffs in Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI as their supervisors.
Faculty staff list of Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI
List of proposed specific themes for the internship program
To avoid the disagreement of the study subject, applicants are recommended to discuss their plan with the nominated supervisors in advance of the application. Applicants may ask sii to contact the supervisor candidates. The inquiries should be made as early as possible, by April 27 at the latest. @ml.jaxa.jp
Criteria for Selection
Following conditions are particularly evaluated to decide internship students.
- The applicant has intense motivation to enter Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI.
- The research subject the applicant proposed can be supervised by the nominated supervisor.
- The applicant has good academic ability to work on the research at Space and Astronautical Science, SOKENDAI.
- (Only about graduate students) The applicant has good ability as a researcher.
Security Export Control
Depending on the specific theme for the internship, applicants may be subject to regulations on the export/transfer of controlled technologies based on the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law.